In this blog post, we will guide you through the process of making hemp gummies, a delightful and beneficial treat that you can easily prepare at home. With a focus on natural flavors, we’ll show you how to create a delicious batch of hemp-infused gummies that not only taste great but also provide a range of benefits.
Hemp gummies are surprisingly simple to make, and there’s plenty of room for experimentation when it comes to flavor variations. In this recipe, we’ll use fruit juice instead of flavored gelatin to achieve a more natural taste. However, feel free to explore different options and get creative with your choice of flavors!
Hemp Gummies Recipe
Servings: 30 to 40 gummies Prep Time: 15 minutes Total Time: 1 hour
- Scary silicone molds
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 1 cup of fruit juice of your choice
- 2 tablespoons of unflavored gelatin
- Cooking spray
- Hemp oil tincture
- Small bowl of sugar to coat the finished gummies
Silicone candy molds, available online, are perfect for shaping your hemp gummies. Opt for classic shapes like bears or simple shapes such as cubes or squares. Ensure that the molds are bite-sized to provide an appropriate serving of hemp. Anything too large would be impractical and difficult to dose.
The combination of honey and fruit juice imparts flavor to the gummies. You have the freedom to choose any type of juice you prefer. For a healthier option, select 100% fruit juice such as pomegranate or lime. The honey adds sweetness to the recipe. Be sure to avoid pulpy juice, as it can alter the gummy’s texture.
Unflavored gelatin serves as the binding agent and gives the gummies their desired texture. If you prefer a simpler route, you can skip the juice and honey and use flavored gelatin in combination with the unflavored gelatin. However, keep in mind that unflavored gelatin provides a firmer texture, so it’s essential to use it in either version.
Coating the inside of the silicone mold with cooking spray makes it easier to release the gummies once they have solidified.
Lastly, hemp oil or hemp isolate is necessary to infuse the gummies with the desired hemp content. Hemp isolate, in powdered form, offers ease of measurement and dosing.
How to Make Hemp Oil Gummies
- In a saucepan, heat 1 cup of fruit juice until it reaches a light simmer.
- Once the juice is simmering, add 2 tablespoons of unflavored gelatin and 2 tablespoons of honey. Whisk the ingredients together until fully blended into a liquid mixture.
- Remove the saucepan from heat. Add the desired amount of hemp oil tincture to the mixture. We recommend using 4 to 8 milliliters of a 1000 or 2000 milligram strength hemp tincture. If there are bubbles in the liquid, gently heat the mixture again to smooth it out.
- Lightly coat the inside of the silicone molds with baking spray using a paper towel.
- Once the hemp oil is blended in, start filling the molds. You can pour the mixture carefully from a pitcher or use a large dropper to avoid spills and bubbles.
- Place the gummy molds in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. If bubbles form on the top of the mold, you can remove them with a spoon. Note that some people may not prefer the texture created by this method.
- Remove the gummies from the molds.
- Optional: Roll each piece in a bowl of sugar for a finishing touch.
Proper Dosing of Gummies:
A medium-size mold holds about 250 milliliters of liquid, which is a little over a cup. One cup of liquid should yield approximately 30 to 35 gummies. For example, if you use 528 milligrams (8 full droppers of 2000 mg strength tincture) of hemp per recipe, each gummy would contain around 15 to 17 milligrams of hemp. Adjust the dosage according to your preference by adding four droppers of 2000 mg strength hemp for 7 to 8 milligrams of hemp per gummy.
How to Make Hemp Isolate Gummies:
To make gummies with hemp isolate, follow the same instructions as above, but instead of using tincture oil, add around 250 to 550 milligrams of powdered isolate at step three. Stir the isolate until fully dissolved, smooth, and evenly distributed.
Storage of Hemp Gummies:
Store the finished gummies in an airtight container in the refrigerator. If left at room temperature, they may become too dense and chewy. Since homemade gummies are not processed, their shelf life is shorter than store-bought candies. We recommend consuming the treats within two weeks. You can also make a large batch and freeze them, as they will store well for an entire year. Keep in mind that frozen gummies may be chewier than fresh ones but are still delicious and safe to eat.
Hemp and Heat:
Concerns about heat affecting the potency of hemp are valid, but hemp doesn’t start degrading until temperatures reach around 320 to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Mixing hemp into warm gelatin liquid will not damage its potency. While certain temperatures can cause the dissipation of certain benefits, incorporating hemp into the gummy-making process is safe and effective.
Is It Legal to Make Hemp Gummies?
Absolutely! Hemp was federally legalized in 2018, and hemp containing less than 0.3% THC is legal nationwide. However, it’s important to note that full spectrum hemp, which contains trace amounts of THC, could potentially result in a failed drug test.
Enjoy your homemade hemp gummies and savor the benefits of this delightful treat. Whether you’re an experienced CBD user or new to the world of hemp, these gummies offer a world of difference and can significantly enhance your quality of life. Give them a try and discover the joy of incorporating CBD into your daily routine. Cheers to those ready to embark on this exciting journey!